Thursday, January 10, 2013

Handmade with love



I am a DIY crafty sort of gal.  I've always wanted to do things myself.  Sometimes to save money, and sometimes just because it sounds fun.  I've painted furniture and made lots of curtains for our home.  But what I really like to do is work with small pieces of fabric or a nice length of yarn.  I could pretend that I make useful items because it's cheaper, but it's not.  It's very slow, and when you add up the amount I spend on materials and the time it takes to make one quilt the price is outrageous.  

One thing I have found over the years is that if I start with good materials the end result will be nicer.  It is also more pleasant to work with good quality fabric.  After many years of working with fabric and yarn I can feel the difference in quality.  The good stuff costs more money, but lasts longer.  The end result will be better quality that my family can use for several years.

What I put into a project is worth it because of the end result. 

Today my living room is draped with my handmade quilts.  My children are playing tents and climbing under and over the projects I spent countless hours on.  I hope they understand that they are worth it to me.  And I hope that the quilts will last for years and continue to tell my children how much I love them even when I'm not near them. 

I hope that our move to Cambodia will show the children there that they are worth our time and our effort.  I hope that they will see Jesus love shining through our eyes.  I pray that they will find His love, and that lives will be turned right side up.

2 comments:

  1. I know that we love the quilts you've made.

    Love the Veggie Tale quilt in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Veggie quilt is Manny's current favorite! =)

    ReplyDelete