Sunday, February 2, 2014

Holding on

My dad is awesome.  He was a great father, and he is an even better grandfather.  He would always try to get my sisters and I a gift for Christmas. It was usually something strange, but when I was in jr. high he brought home a giant Toblerone candy bar for each of us.  That was the first time I ate one, and I still remember how good it was.  I've had a few more since then, and it always brings back good memories.


A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving our family drove 2 1/2 hours to the city with a grocery store so that we could have a turkey.  It was not an easy trip, but we managed to make it there and brought home the bird.  While we were at the store we looked around to see what else they had that we don't have here in our town.  I saw Toblerone.  They had a big one and small ones.  I went for the big one.  The problem is that it is still sitting in the fridge.  I'm afraid that if I eat it I won't be able to get another one.  Every day when I open the fridge I see it, I want to eat it, but I don't want it to be gone.  Silly me.

  I'm supposed to be a missionary.  I'm supposed to listen when Jesus says, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or whether you will be able to get another Toblerone bar."  Luke 12:25 loosely translated.

 I do worry about those things.  I hold on to things that don't really matter, because inside of me I believe they do matter.  This week my goal is to open the candy bar and share it with my family.   Luke 12:34 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  I want to pay more attention to where I'm storing my treasure, and what I really consider treasures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment